Administrative & Financial Assistant
To provide administrative and financial functions support to the ministry of the Morristown United Methodist Church (both staff and volunteers).
Reports to: Senior Pastor
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Extend hospitality toguests,, visitors and members who call, email, or visit in person and provide information about our church including referrals to staff or volunteers when needed.
2. Update the phone system with current messages concerning changes in program, staff hours, and church closings.
3. Maintain our member database (Breeze) and perform updates including addition of new visitors, new members, and additional information e.g. from baptisms, confirmations, and weddings. Also perform queries and reports as needed.
4. Coordinate and review the use of church facilities and enter usage schedule on master calendar in Breeze database .
5. Prepare and send out periodic electronic publications, and messages to congregation.
6. Prepare and print publications such as the membership directory, wedding and funeral bulletins, book of reports, new members’ materials, brochures, fliers, etc. for distribution
7. Maintain and secure church files especially those confidential such as “Safe Sanctuary” policy background checks.
8. Provide administrative support to the Senior Pastor for the annual Morristown Church Conference, reporting to the Annual Greater NJ United Methodist Church Conference, and special programs (i.e. baptisms, dedications, funeral services, weddings, and other events).
9. Operate and schedule maintenance of office equipment
10. Maintain an inventory of all supplies and place orders as needed for staff, volunteers, and guests. For recurrent items such as annual offering envelopes, order on specified schedule.
1. Record all contributions received via the offering plate, mail, or electronic giving sources, maintain confidentiality, and deposit in relevant church bank account.
2. Analyze monthly financial performance, make recommendations for corrective action and provide reports to Finance Committee.
3.Track church’s performance indicators using United Methodist Church’s Vital Signs program
4. Reconcile bank statements and prepare monthly financial statements and analysis to Administrative Director and chair of Finance Committee and review at Finance Committee meetings.
5. Produce using Breeze software and mail contribution statements on a semi- annual and year-end to donors. At calendar year-end, ensure giving is recorded in the correct calendar year. Acknowledge donors especially for large donations, memorial gifts, and stock donations.
6. Communicate with payroll provider for any staff payroll updates. Communicate with financial institutions and make changes to church accounts when required.
7. Review all invoices and prepares checks for signatures, and records all financial data into QuickBooks accounting system .
8. Record all purchases subject to NJ sales tax refund and file for refunds semi-annually.
9.. Monitor changes in account numbers, tax regulations and Finance Committee updates to budgets.
10. Work with Senior Pastor in preparing annual conference statistical report.
11. Work with church auditor to ensure the auditor has all necessary documents and statements to complete annual church audit.
12. Work closely with the Chair of the Finance Committee in preparing budgets and presenting needed financial reports to the Finance Committee.
· Bachelor’s Degree required
· At least 5 years of experience in business management including financial accounting
· Demonstrated volunteer involvement or work experience in non-profit or church sector preferred
· Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills and exemplary grammar and spelling.
· Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, databases such as Breeze, QuickBooks accounting system, and communications tools.
· Must be highly detailed and organized.
· Flexible so as to be able to adust to changing circumstances (e.g. pandemic)
· A motivated self-starter with strong time-management and problem-solving abilities. Able to work quickly and independently and as part of a team, handling multiple projects at one time and meeting deadlines.
This is a full-time, position of 40 hours per week. Position requires you to be in the office when the Church is open: 9am-5pm pm, Monday-Friday. 3 hours a day may be dedicated to exclusively to financial functions (e.g. 9-10am, 3-5pm each day)
Salary commensurate with experience, education, and other qualifying credentials. $35000-$45000/year. Medical insurance benefits may be available.
Please submit resume and cover letter to JobSearchMUMC2020@gmail.com
For more information about the Morristown United Methodist Church visit www.morristownumc.org
phone: (973) 538-2132